Friday, March 29, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 2 -- 21A

I read the book How To Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams.

1) I think the general theme of the book is having persistence and determination throughout your career and life, even when things aren't going as you hoped or expected. Adams portrays this through his story by showing readers you can fail, fail, and fail again and in the end it is helping teach you lessons that will amount to an eventual success -- as long as you persevere through the failures and learn major lessons from them.

 2) I think the correlation between this book and this course is strong. The lessons and themes Adams  discusses in his book are super relevant to our course work and further our life/careers. Being determined, motivated and persistent when you face obstacles, challenges or failures in your life is what builds you up, makes you stronger and contributes to the goal you will eventually reach. In this course, we as students have had to be determined to overcome our obstacles we have encountered in our blog posts and business/product developments taking feedback and holes in our ideas and transforming that 'failure' into a better product which will impact the end result.

3) If I had to describe an exercise based on this book, I would have my exercise deal with taking risks and diving into things that may not be the most comfortable but are manageable enough to actually help your end goal by slowly taking steps to overcome them. Risks are essential to achieving success, so identifying what your strengths are and where you need improvement as a weakness, figuring out that middle ground and finding a starting point can really help to make strides in getting comfortable with the idea of breaking out of your safe zone.

4) I think I was most surprised by the mind frame of Adams in terms of his belief of finding his energy rather than finding his passion. We hear the phrase of finding our passion so often that it was refreshing to read about someone approaching life from a different angle that I hadn't thought of before. Finding your energy is all about staying motivated with your energy so that even when you do fail you can pick yourself up and figure whatever it is out and that managing this energy through different facets can still lend itself to success through that failure. To me, that was such an interesting perspective and really made me think of my own failures, what future failures I could encounter, and how I can further handle them by channeling my energy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,

    I read the same book! I completely agree with you about the correlations of the book and the course, I just could not put the right words done. I also found it very interesting that he would be very upbeat about failing in so many encounters and just used them to become better and go farther in life.

    ReplyDelete