Friday, March 22, 2019

Idea Napkin No. 2 -- 19A

1) My name is Rachel Spencer and I am a senior journalism major with an outside concentration in business here at the University of Florida. As a journalism major with an affinity and passion for media, I want to use my skill set I have been building throughout my college years in order to find a creative outlet via digital communication. Throughout my coursework in both journalism based courses and design based courses, like media influenced graphic design, I have realized I want to creatively pursue something that encapsulates both of these areas, while also using my entrepreneurial spirit to guide me and create my own path.

2) I am offering to customers a service that capitalizes on the desires of men and women to place importance on skincare and relaxation. Most of my customer base wants to maintain a skin care service with a professional but are unaware where to find an esthetician or do not have time to book a complete, full-fledged spa service. My facial bar business would also appeal to the idea of experiences, playing into the brand of luxury and relaxation with the access that would accommodate a larger customer base. 

3) While I would mainly target women for this service and business idea, I also wouldn't rule out men as potential customers either. However, I think the female market would be easier to tap into given the idea of my facial bar. These women would be wanting to seek out facial and skincare services but might not necessarily have the time to head to a spa for a likely over priced service. I want to capitalize on the experience factor as well, considering the social media demographic of women wanting to share their unique, fun and trendy experiences online with friends and followers.

4) I think my targeted customers would care because there is a gap in the market for a business that solely caters to your skin. I have made the comparison multiple times over the semester to the immensely successful Dry Bar, which solely offers a service of shampoo, blow dry, and styling of women's hair plus a plethora of other avenues they have expanded into, such as hair products and hair tools. This proves that an isolated service can work and can become something women treat themselves with but can also make part of their maintenance routine, instilling a consistent clientele as it plays into the fact that it is more convenient than heading to a spa.

5) I think the concept itself sets it apart from other businesses and ideas. In addition, I am trying to target a direct market that I am a part of, linking me to the business idea in a way that I can relate and understand what is wanted in this market and how others could potentially react to my idea. Lastly, I think there is an opportunity to establish a membership type deal for the facial bar, which seems to be effective when people can purchase packages for a service and feel like they are getting their money worth on a service they want.

I do think these elements all fit together. With my background as well as experience and understanding of my target market, I feel like I could definitely tap into the need I see as unmet. Again, as I mentioned in my first  idea napkin, I think my biggest obstacle will be with pricing, figuring out a sweet spot of sorts in order to ensure quality, consistent clients and then further actually making a profit. The two main points I took from my previous feedback were pricing conditions and my target demographic changing these in this updated post to reflect the thought of creating a membership price in addition to a standard price for the service as well as redefining my target demographic to show a more specified and explained customer base.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,
    The ideas from the feedback really helped this already great idea blossom. I really think that with the skills you can bring to the table you can totally bring this service to live. I really do like the add details in the marketing and what you can offer in terms of services to customers. The way you can make a consistent client list is very interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete