Friday, April 12, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 3 -- 27A

The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki

1) The general theme of The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki is how to master social media and get the most out of platforms, giving tips, tricks and insights to aid a reader's social media growth.

2) I think this book relates greatly to the modern idea of entrepreneurship and running a business considering how large of an element social media and networking, advertising and marketing through popular platforms is at the root of a successful idea or business.

3) If I could design an exercise for this class based on this book, the exercise would be to research a social media platform (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, etc.) and figure out how vast the reach of one is to an audience. Additionally, I would have students select a viral social media moment or campaign from the last 5 years, researching/understanding what made it so viral and what the effects of the vitality did for the user, business, etc.

4) One "aha" moment I had while reading this book was within one of the lessons from the book: to pick two social media platforms and reach your audience through those by doing cross-platform content. With so many social media platforms prevalent to users today, it would be very overwhelming and nearly impossible to maintain and use them all at the same frequency. Thus focusing on two would allow you to produce better quality content.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Rachel! I didn't get a chance to read this book, but it seems incredibly insightful. I actually mention for my business that one of my unfair advantages is the free marketing. Free marketing basically entailed forms of social media, and it's kind of crazy to think that this is something professionals in the business world recommend. I'll have to get a chance and read this book on my own, I'll definitely learn a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel! I read this book for another reading reflection, so it was great to see someone else’s thoughts on the book. I agree that the book greatly relates to entrepreneurship since social media has become such a strong force today. I always thought you should look at all platforms, but you have a point in how it would be very hard to keep up on everything and keep providing. My aha moment was how big Pinterest actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel,
    I read this book as well. I did find it very interesting and I agree that it does relate a lot to the idea of entrepreneurship and running a business. I like what you designed as an exercise based on the book. It would be cool to see what makes those campaigns useful, especially with how technology has evolved to reach audiences.

    ReplyDelete