Friday, February 15, 2019

Figuring out Buyer Behavior No. 1 -- 12A

1) The segment I chose was women, as this is the targeted audience and majority of who I think my business idea of a facial-only business would apply most to, without restrictions of age.

2) For this assignment, I have decided to interview three women currently living in Gainesville. I decided to interview three different age ranges, one is an 18-year-old high school student, another a college junior at UF, and the third woman is a 35-year-old mother who works a full time job.

3) The need is definitely apparent, as indicated by each female I spoke with. All of them recognized the gap in the market of speedy spa-related services, as there are not businesses dedicated solely to one service. They expressed that while they do value skincare and are always wishing they could head in for facials periodically, their schedules and wallets do not always allow for that. My interviewees agreed that certain times could present more of a need, for example before a big event they are attending or if they've had a rather bad day or week and just want to treat themselves on the spot.

4) My interviewees collectively said the first thing they do when wanting to potentially schedule a spa service like a facial is consult Google to find businesses offering the service and further look into pricing, appointments, reviews, etc. The high school student and college junior both acknowledged that they also look to social media, such as Instagram or even Yelp after recognizing their need and seeking out a solution, while the 35-year-old mother consulted websites of the spas and occasionally consulting local friends or Facebook.

5) Through my interviews with these women, I learned that there is definitely an unmet need as they all expressed wanting to get a facial or other spa-related service at some point and backed out due to accessibility, scheduling or pricing issues. The convenience of my proposed facial bar gained interest from each woman as they liked the idea of being able to walk-in and have a target, customizable service performed speedily. The high school student and college junior also really resonated with the comparison to the Dry Bar, as they had both been aware of that business and the experiential factor  (the Instagram-ability of it) and would jump at the chance to use the service should it be available in Gainesville, even as a once-in-a-while treat to themselves as opposed to coming on a consistent basis when on a budget.

6) This segment was really helpful as the interviews I conducted within it helped me to see where I get more traction from women age-wise.  It also helped to solidify that I am targeting my business correctly in terms of how it could be branded as an experience with trendiness which capitalizes on the 'fad'-like attraction for customers to certain ideas. I definitely think this segment has an opening for a facial bar in the market of the purchase of pampering services.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I think that although this is the main segment that you want to be focused on but I believe that it could be split even further. I think that you could have a segment of different age groups as that way you can cater to each as they may all have a different need. Like the younger generation may like the Instagram-ability of it but the older generation will not care and they may be a key segment to get the business started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel,

    I feel that with the different age groups wanting different ways to verify is your business is better than others that offer the same service, you will need to learn to advertise the service in a way that compliments both older and younger generations. With this in mind, you can add things to your business, such as business cards for the older generations so they may pass it on to friends physically, while even a simple mirror with a Instagram or twitter handle would be sufficient for the younger generation. This interviews should help narrow down what exactly is higher in priority to cater and advertise to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel,

    I agree with you in that there is an unmet need for an express like facial bar. I think being able to target a wide range of ages for your service is key in helping grow your business. I think one way to grow your business is to offer a facial designed for men when your business is on the ground and running. I know a lot of men who would jump at this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete