1. Parking at Publix
The parking at the recently opened Publix near campus on 13th Street (across from The Standard Apartments) is always jam packed with little movement from most cars at almost any time of day.
When cars do move, the area is so small and the capacity of waiting cars is so big that it becomes an issue to let cars out in order for spots to then become available. This is in part due to the limited number of spots available for a widely-used Publix but also because there are workers parking in the same parking lot and not moving until their shift is over, thus taking spots away from customers.
2. Lack of Macbook USB
My Macbook is marketed as being state of the art and high performance with the sleekness and appeal of weighing virtually nothing. It checks out in this sense, but the tradeoff is that the ports for the computer are limited to that of a charging port and a headphone jack, without a USB port to charge my phone. I understand that the computer is too slim to add it in, as that is what I bought the computer for so I wasn't toting around a heavy laptop but it would still occur to me that a USB port would be necessary for almost any laptop as customers may want to charge a phone or plug in a flash drive without purchasing and carrying an adapter to do so.
3. Scooter Parking
Scooters are a huge method of transportation here in Gainesville. As a result of this, apartments, campus, etc. have designated certain spots for scooter parking at establishments, however, many times I see scooters taking up car parking spots. This is problematic for car drivers because the tiny amount of space left when a scooter parks in a regular parking spot is impossible for a car to also fit in. This is because there is a surplus of scooters around town and not enough scooter parking to accommodate them.
4. Prevalence of social media at all times
Social media is a key component of our generation. I love it and am on it more time than I would probably like to admit, but when I sit down to a meal or am trying to have a conversation with someone who is constantly on their phone it is really frustrating. I think the commonality of this occurring is because social media has become what most millennials are constantly thinking about creating a reliance on it and inability to not use it at certain times.
5. Long lines at Midtown
When trying to let off steam from a stressful academic life, my friends and I like to head out to Midtown, however in the last 2 years the long lines have become such an issue that it is hard to gain access to bars and restaurants in the area without waiting a minimum of at least 30 minutes. These lines are due to the high volume of students and the slim number of bars and restaurants in the area thus making it difficult to go anywhere without encountering a line.
6. Street parking in residential areas
Street parking in the residential areas of Gainesville is extremely limited. Paired with the fact that housing and apartment complexes near campus have a high volume of students attempting to park causes a lot of stress for people trying to park their cars in regular street parking. With the limited number of spots available many people park in whatever street parking spot they can find and do not move for as long as possible. Thus creating even more of a limitation and causing street parkers to drive around and around looking for a spot that could be close to their apartment or house or even blocks away.
7. Starbucks on campus
Finding a Starbucks without a line on-campus is often an extremely difficult task. This is because of the high volume of students, like me, with need for their addicting coffee to give us energy, and the minute amount of workers in comparison. Thus the ratio of drinks to worker is inadequate and causes a long wait time to get your drink, even when pre-ordering via Tapingo.
8. TSA lines at airports
TSA lines at airports are often long and slow. While it is for our safety and I am glad we have them, it can be both annoying and make you miss your flight if you do not space out enough time prior. These long lines can be attributed to not enough staff to accommodate the volume of people trying to get through security. More prevalent at this time, it can also be due to the government shutdown.
9. Pedicure Problems
I get annoyed with my nail salon when they put me in my pedicure chair and run the water before they are actually ready to do the pedicure. The water ran 20 minutes prior to my actual service is always cold by the time they get to me and I end up wishing I would have just waited in the lounge area. This could be due to the workers wanting to accommodate me but not having enough workers but also poor customer service.
10. Traffic on Archer Road
Traffic on Archer Road anytime after probably 4:00 p.m. leading up to around 7:00 p.m. is always a nightmare. The capacity of cars taking that road compared to the amount of lanes and stoplights creates time-consuming traffic. This is a huge issue considering it is a prevalent road in Gainesville, having turning points to the University, a ton of restaurants, stores, etc., and also leading to the highway.
11. Inbox Spam
My e-mail is a cess pool for spam emails from any store, place or company I have ever encountered. The spam emails are attempting to promote the sender to me and potentially increase sales, but the volume at which the companies do so makes me either unsubscribe from the list or delete the emails without even looking at them.
12. Excess candle going to waste
I am a huge addict to Bath & Body Works' three-wick candles. These candles smell great but if you don't consistently trim the wicks every time before burning, then at the end of the wick you will be left with an excess amount of your candle and no wick to burn it with. This makes me feel as though I have wasted my money. The excess candle annoyance can be attributed to poor design and production of the candles or even a grander marketing scheme to make me purchase more and more candles before I technically need to.
13. Frozen yogurt cups
Frozen yogurt is another one of my addictions, however it drives me crazy that there is only one size cup offered and it is huge. This is definitely a marketing strategy so that you spend more money because you cannot gauge how much yogurt you're actually putting into the massive cup. It is effective though because I always end up getting too much yogurt and spending more money than I needed to.
14. Foundation shade
As a girl who enjoys makeup, it is insanely important for me to own the right shade of foundation to match my face and body. However, sometimes a makeup brand's foundation will appear to match correctly in the store but after a certain amount of time it will oxidize and essentially turn orange or another shade which definitely doesn't match. This is due to the company releasing a poor product that may only work for some and not others.
15. Key West driving route
Being from Key West, an island most people see as paradise, is amazing. However, anytime we have to travel out of Key West is a headache until you get to Miami. This is because there is only one road in/out (US1). This means every accident or traffic jam is felt all the way down to the Keys, making traffic unavoidable. This is due to the limited amount of space to build another highway leading in and out of the Keys.
16. Prices on Feminine Products
Women's products such as tampons and pads are something we must all purchase as we simply do not have a choice. These are pretty expensive and can be problematic for women on tight budgets as there is no way around having to purchase them. In my opinion, the expense of these products is because companies know women will buy them at whatever price they designate considering they are a necessity.
17. Starbucks' drive-thru line on Archer Road
The drive-thru line at Starbucks on Archer is congested more often than not. Cars wrap around the entire building and behind the plaza. This is not only a problem for cars in the drive-thru but people trying to enter and exit the plaza as cars from the drive-thru are blocking them. This is from a poor design and location of the line and the Starbucks overall.
18. Winter clothing in a summer state
Every clothing store rotates their clothes based on season. This becomes tough for Floridians trying to find weather appropriate clothing during winter months, as it may get cold in some places at some times but may likely be hot on other days. Stores generally don't consider this and options are slim when shopping for Florida's "winter" weather. This is due to clothing stores providing for the majority of the United States, as it is the most financially and logical approach to stocking a chain clothing store.
19. When my mom makes trivial things into a full blown lecture
She does this because she cares about me and wants the best for me, though acts as if some of the points she makes have never occurred to me, putting more pressure on me than necessary because I have likely already lectured myself introspectively.
20. When coffee shops do not have adequate wifi or do not make it easily accessible
Coffee shops are now a common place for students or even adults to go and get work done or leisurely browse the internet via a computer, yet some coffee shops remain without adequate, strong wifi for customers or do not have it easily displayed around the shop. This is because coffee shops do not have to supply wifi for their customer and can opt not to give customers the wifi details.
Reflection:
I definitely did not anticipate this assignment to be as challenging as it was. While I am a chronic complainer, it was more difficult than I thought it would be to articulate exactly what these "bugs" are and why they are so annoying on the spot. As a result, after about 8 examples, it started to get increasingly more difficult to come up with specific instances. However, as tedious as it was, I found myself able to logically explain why, from a different perspective, these bugs exist pretty easily once I thought of the initial scenario.
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your list. The bug I related to the most was definitely the one about the long lines at midtown. I really appreciate that you put so much thought into the "why" part of this assignment and I think you did a good job explaining why this bug exists, instead of why it bothers you. I also struggled when coming up with my list after writing a couple of the bugs, but I found that it helped when I went throughout my day and looked at my surroundings to see what bothered me.